Both sea salt and saltwater have long histories of serving the body, in beauty recipes and skin therapies. This combination, when used in a therapeutic way, even has its own name: thalassotherapy. That’s the therapeutic use of saltwater, for short!
Many people notice reduced acne and a more refined, clear complexion when using sea salt for skin. Sea salt typically appears in salt scrubs, but this gentle sea spray can be left on to continuously nourish the skin. The minerals in salt can also tighten your skin and reduce wrinkles.
Aside from its beauty benefits, this sea spray leaves skin feeling refreshed and light. It can serve as a facial toner or as an all-over skin nourishing spray. If you’ve never tried salt on the skin, try this simple and inexpensive recipe!
DIY Sea Spray for healthy skin
Try this nourishing sea salt spray for skin to reduce acne and firm skin. This spray leaves skin feeling refreshed and clean.
- 1 cup of distilled water or pre-boiled water – heated to almost boiling
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 1 pinch of Epsom salt or magnesium flakes
- Essential oils for scent if desired – we love mint, lavender or rose!
- Add Himalayan or sea salt and Epsom salt/magnesium to the warm water and stir until salts are completely dissolved.
- Add essential oils (if using) and store the end product in a glass jar or spray bottle.
- To use: Apply to your skin by spraying or with a cotton pad as a toner. Great for use as part of a daily skin care routine of after swimming.
- In place of distilled water, an herbal tea if it is made from dried herbs. Calendula or chamomile tea work well in this recipe — or mint tea can be used for a cooling spray!